As I sat in one windowless room after another, I held my retreat sisters and our experiences in my heart while I listened to one presentation after another explaining how to create more sustainable practices by sparking social impact, engaging employees, assessing economic impact, enhancing leadership skills, implementing better technology, issuing more thorough reports, and shifting to more renewable energy sources. Throughout the weekend I came back to one question: Where was the natural world in this conversation?
The recent environmental tragedy that took place on April 20, 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico when BP’s oil rig blew out, pouring oil onto a fragile Louisiana ecosystem at an estimated 210,000 gallons per day, has many people deeply concerned about its effect on the environment and wildlife.
Many Blessings to you,
As workers and volunteers struggle to physically stem the tide of oil, energyworkers of all modalities and people with no formal experience as lightworkers are asking themselves the same question: How can I help?
Shamanic practitioners of any background can gather to journey for insights and conduct fire ceremonies – perhaps bringing a stick to the fire with prayers of gratitude for the wildlife and environment of the region blown into it.
Reiki practitioners can unite on Facebook in a group called Let’s get 1,000,000 people sending Reiki and healing to the Gulf oil spill.
But what if you’re not a Reiki or shamanic practitioner? What can you do?
Animal communicator Mary Getten, author of Communicating with Orcas, sent out an email (which she has given permission to share), containing some simple steps that anyone can do.
There are many people feeling helpless and angry right now about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. You don’t have to feel that way. I would like to suggest some simple things that you can do to make a difference.
1. Be an armchair environmentalist. Communicate with the animals in that area to let them know about the dangers of getting oiled and where to go to be safe. The birds need to be told that if the water looks like this (show them an oil slick on the surface), that they should keep flying. The dolphins, turtles, fish and other swimming creatures, need to know that if they see an oil slick or dark spot on the surface, they should not come up there. Also if they see a dark mass in the water, they should swim away from it. Step by step instructions are included below.
2. Hold the vision of the gulf being clean and healthy. Don’t hate the oil, love it back into the ground. If enough people connect with the oil (Deva of the oil) and explain that it needs to go back into the earth and seal up the hole where it is escaping, this kind of miracle can happen. Do the visualization/meditation/communication included below.
3. Call and write your senators and representatives in congress, President Obama, and the head of the EPA, Lisa Jackson. Speak from the heart about what this oil is doing to the environment, the economy and our wildlife. Ask them to stop the drilling to prevent more disasters.
Thanks for your help in turning this disaster around. Every little thing that you do WILL make a difference.—Mary
CONNECTING WITH A DEVA OR NATURE SPIRIT
• Each type of animal, plant or mineral, has a Deva or nature spirit that “looks after” all the beings in that group. You can communicate with this Deva, to easily get a message to all the beings of that type. Determine which Deva you want to connect with and what you want to say or express. In this case, you want to let the birds know that they should not land on the water if it has oil on it, the swimming creatures should not surface or swim in those areas, and the bottom dwellers need to march away as well. Tell the dolphins that they can swim south into the Atlantic or the Caribbean and be safe.
• Get quiet. Do a grounding meditation or use some other technique to move into your heart center. Set your intention and call out to the Deva of __________________ (bottlenose dolphins, sea turtles, sea birds, etc.). You can also connect with the Deva of the Gulf of Mexico and ask that ALL wildlife be safely moved from the oiled areas, but connecting with the more “specific” devas seems to be more powerful.
• Wait for the energy to come in. If you don’t feel it right away, call again, and ask if the Deva is there.
• Introduce yourself and tell this being why you have contacted them.
• Tell this being about the danger of the oil and urge them to lead the animals to a safe area. Explain what happens if they get oiled. Tell them how much we love and appreciate these beings and how we want them to be safe.
• Acknowledge any communication, feelings, pictures or perceptions you receive.
• If you do not understand something, ask for clarification. Keep asking questions until you understand what you are hearing, seeing or feeling. Keep talking to the Deva until you are sure that you have gotten your message across. Send mental pictures of the dolphins (or whomever) speeding through the water to the unsoiled regions. Apologize for this terrible accident.
• When finished, thank this being for sharing with you and ask if there is anything they would like to tell you, or that you need to hear. See if there is anything else you can do to help.
• Come back to your physical reality and record what you got.
• Do this with as many Devas as you can, as often as you can, and keep sending the mental picture or visual of the animals leaving the oiled areas and being safe elsewhere.
HOLD THE VISION
• To create something in your reality, you must see it as you would like it (not as it is). In this case, we want to see the Gulf of Mexico clean and shining, healthy and free of oil.
• To get to this state, we’ll connect with the Deva of the Oil in the Gulf of Mexico as we did in the exercise above. Tell the Deva that the oil now in the Gulf needs to go back into the ground and that the hole must seal itself closed.
• Explain how many creatures are being hurt. Tell the Deva and the oil, that you understand that it means no harm, but that it is creating problems for all the wildlife.
• Sending loving energy to the oil while you visualize it swirling like a tornado in the water, and going back into the hole it came out of.
• Hold this vision for as long as possible, all the while thanking the oil for going back into the ground and telling it how much you love it.
• See the hole in the bottom of the sea closing up.
• Keep sending love to the oil and thanking it for going back into the ground and sealing the hole.
• Do this as often as possible. There is power in numbers and the more that this information/request is made, the quicker and more complete this will happen.
• You can also hold the vision that the humans involved find a simple and easy way to stop this, and ensure that it never happens again.
Thanks so much for using your telepathic abilities to work with the oil and help the wildlife find safe passage to clean areas.
Many Blessings to you,
Unfortunately sometimes it takes a major tragedy to show us what we truly value.
One of the few positive events stemming from this catastrophe (so far) is California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger withdrew his own proposal to resume oil drilling off California. Hopefully that decision may cause other government officials to make much needed changes in our environmental policies.
In every lesson there is a gift, although it may be difficult to see at first. Perhaps this tragedy is an important opportunity to do things differently.
Join your positive intention with people from all walks of life. Let’s combine our knowledge, wisdom and energy to create positive shift on behalf of the earth and wildlife. United, we all stand.
Think Outside the Cage
A pioneer in Reiki and shamanic healing for people and animals, Rose De Dan has seen firsthand the profound healing impact of this work on the lives of others. A Reiki Master Teacher, mesa carrier in the Peruvian Q’ero tradition, and animal communicator, she teaches classes, workshops and teleclasses for those interested in learning more about energy medicine.
Rose is also author of the acclaimed book Tails of a Healer: Animals, Reiki and Shamanism, and creator of Animal and Reiki Art. As an animal shaman, she views her role as a healer as one of building bridges between people and animals, and of empowering them to reconnect with Pachamama, Mother Earth.
To receive notice of future articles and events, sign up for our newsletter.